Vegetarian Ideal


Nothing will benefit human health and increase the chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet.
- Albert Einstein

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Seeking Truth (Nisargadatta)

The lamps are different, but the light is the same. Concentrate on light. Their light is your light. May all beings benefit.

..............

"You are like the point of the pencil — by mere contact with you the mind draws its picture of the world. You are single and simple — the picture is complex and extensive. Don’t be misled by the picture — remain aware of the tiny point — which is everywhere in the picture." Page 452


"The difference lies in what I do not experience. I do not experience fear or greed, hate or anger. I ask nothing, refuse nothing, keep nothing. In these matters I do not compromise. Maybe this is the outstanding difference between us. I will not compromise, I am true to myself, while you are afraid of reality." Page 171



"My teacher told me to hold an to the sense ‘I am’ tenaciously and not to swerve from it even for a moment. I did my best to follow his advice and in a comparatively short time I realized within myself the truth of his teaching. All I did was to remember his teaching, his face, his words constantly. This brought an end to the mind; in the stillness of the mind I saw myself as I am — un- bound." Page 223

...............

truth is truth
truth can never be represented nor be worded nor be told
truth is here and now, not the words "here and now"
truth is to be lived
truth is to love
truth is simply you without the ideas of you

and YOU are the truth when you give up all the illusions of truth or the shadows of truth

words are just words, nothing more
a representation of the real, but not the real
a pointer to the real but not the real

thinking is so linear, but the real is not, it is all
in one moment

like being totally in love
being speechless, being timeless, being mindless, being .... just being

wish I AM here always, without dreams, without the ideas of I.


20466767
's review 




.................................


Nisargadatta Maharaj




I AM THAT is a transcription of question-and-answer dialogues between the Indian yoga teacher Nisargadatta Maharaj and his students and visitors.

He believes that the perceived world and mind are illusory manifestations of a non-describable, yet aware, entity. I can see how I construct my own reality as my brain processes the inputs from my sensory organs.

However, I think their is a reality from which my perceptions arise. He helpfully challenges my assumption that what I see is "the" reality. We may be manifestations of a different reality that we cannot perceive, but that is not a testable proposition.

He believes that the goal of human beings should be to identify with the "I" behind perception, thought, and feelings. That is the doorway to a non-rational experience of the entity that is manifested in but also transcends our known inner and outer worlds. Ekart Tolle takes a similar position in his book, "The Power of Now." I find this to be more helpful on a psychological than theoretical basis. It is very helpful to me, when I am sad, frustrated, or anxious, to be able to say "there is that feeling of sadness, which is not me." "There is that thought about that patient." That detaches me from the thought or feeling enough to process it constructively.

 ...................
 


Source: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/299869.I_Am_That


Links: I Am That: Talks with Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj


http://nisargadatta.org/index.html



http://www.davidgodman.org/interviews/nis1.shtml
Godman has lots of good stuff
Living the Inspiration of Sri Ramana Maharshi
Remembering Nisargadatta Maharaj
Download all interviews here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Am_That

http://www.arunachala-ramana.org/forum/index.php?topic=7143.75


http://www.celextel.org/otherbooks/nisargadattamaharaj/iamthat.html

Lists online books:

 
Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj was an Indian spiritual teacher and philosopher of Advaita (Nondualism), and a Guru, belonging to the Navnath Sampradaya. 

Sri Nisargadatta, with his direct and minimalistic explanation of non-dualism, is considered the most famous teacher of Advaita since Ramana Maharshi. 

In 1973, the publication of his most famous and widely-translated book, "I AM THAT", an English translation of his talks in Marathi by Maurice Frydman, brought him worldwide recognition and followers.

According to Sri Nisargadatta, the purpose of spirituality is to know who you are. His discussions are not for academic scholars. He is a rebellious spirit, abrupt in his style of discussion, provocative, and immensely profound, cutting to the core and wasting little effort on inessentials. His terse but potent sayings are known for their ability to trigger radical shifts from philosophical mind-games to the purity of consciousness, just by hearing or even reading them.

He talked about the 'direct way' of knowing the Final Reality, in which one becomes aware of one's original nature through mental discrimination, breaking the mind's false identification with the ego, knowing that "You are already That". The scene for these talks was a small upstairs room at his humble flat in Khetwadi, used for his own meditation and also for daily chantings. 

A simple man, Nisargadatta was a house-holder and a petty shop-keeper selling bidis - hand-made leaf-rolled cigarettes.
 













..........

The 8 famous Books of Maharaj


Traditional Scriptures

Photos of Nisargadatta Maharaj


Quotes from 'I am That'

Quotes from 'Seeds of Consciousness'

Quotes from 'Prior to Consciousness'

Quotes from 'Consciousness and the Absolute'

Quotes from 'Pointers from Nisargadatta Maharaj'

Quotes from 'The Nectar of Immortality'

Quotes from 'The Ultimate Medicine'

Quotes from 'The Experience of Nothingness'



Source: http://nisargadatta.org/pages/quotes_nisargadatta_maharaj.html




No comments:

Post a Comment